Nether Heyford Village

3 Nether Heyford Village Sign (737x531)

Nether Heyford is a village in south Northamptonshire which pre-dates the Norman Conquest.  It was mentioned in the Doomsday Book. At that time the village comprised around 500 acres of cultivated land, 19 acres of meadow and a mill. The population at that time was 11 villagers, 3 smallholders and 4 slaves. Nowadays that has grown to around 2000 (with no slaves!), with a large growth in housing to match.   There are 2 pubs (The Olde Sun and The Foresters Arms), 2 churches (Church of England and Baptist) and various shops (butchers,  hairdressers, curios/antiques and a convenience store).  Visiting shops include a fish and chip van, and a library van.

 

2 Church of St Peter and Paul Nether HeyfordThe village church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, and parts of the church date back to the thirteenth century. The church is Grade II* listed and was restored in 1855.

 

20151229_122558 (800x600)

The village has one of the biggest village greens in the country, measuring approximately 2.2 hectares or 5.4 acres, which is used for many village events, such as Fetes, games, walking, and a playground.

For lots more detail on the history of Nether Heyford go to www.netherheyford.org.uk